I have been a bit remiss in my postings. But I wanted to make sure that a post on my luffa gourds went up today.
They were picked at the end of October just before the first frost hit. The luffas where no where near ready to be peeled until now.
This is the first one that I cleaned. Out of the 13 that I had only 7 made it. The others rotted.
Here they are getting a quick bleach bath to rid them of any possible bacteria.
Two more that are not ready to be peeled. Hopefully in another week I can clean them up too.
Most of these will be cut up into small pieces to use in my new hobby of soap making.
As always thank you for visiting!
I am at it again.
Since I was growing luffa sponges in my garden I realized that I have too many (7 larges ones and 1 really small one) to use myself and needed to find something to do with them.
So now have a new hobby…Soap making. If you have not realized by now I must stay busy.
This is another thing that I thought was easier than it actually is. It is not rocket science but you need accurate measurements, timing, and GREAT equipment.
So far I have made 3 batches, the first 2, although technically correct, did not come out looking good or what I envisioned.
Batches 1 and 2…..The soap on the left was mixed with red and blue color which should have made purple. I do not know how it became green. The soap on the right was suppose to have a slightly darker shade of green but it is more pastel and there is a yellow layer that is barely visible. The shorter soap on the end is just left overs.
This peachy colored on is the batch that I made Monday evening. There are tiny air bubbles in it but other than that it came out pretty good.
Thanks for visiting!
PS – I apologize for not responding to recent comments I will be answering very soon.